After years of begging through my own little piece of the internet EA Tiburon has finally granted some of my wishes. The release of a new trailer and information about CFM has me anxiously waiting for the game to release in August. This is primarily due to the inclusion of editable draft classes as well as a slowly overhauled draft experience. Add the refinements to player progression and regression and you have a mode that might keep CFM gamers interested for more than a few months.
Here is a quick rundown of the released information on CFM.
While this isn’t actually ‘new’ here are some of the factoids coming out.
- Offense has Spread, West Coast Zone Run, West Coast Power Run, Vertical Zone Run, Vertical Power Run, Multiple Power Run, Multiple Zone Run, Run and Shoot.
- Defense has Base 4-3, Multiple 4-3, Base 3-4, Multiple 3-4, Tampa 2, 46.
- Players will have indicators to show scheme fit (this goes for the draft as well) which is an improvement in terms of simplification.
- New Player Ratings will also take effect for some positions – QB has Throw Under Pressure, Break Sack, Break Tackle, WR has Short, Medium and Deep Route Running, and O Line has Run & Pass Block Power/Finesse, and Lead Block.
- Each position has four archetypes (this is much like MLB The Show 18 in Road To The Show, for those that need a reference point)…
- An Example = QB can be Scrambler, Strong Arm, West Coast or Field General (you will notice that these were part of scheme fits over the last couple years of Madden).
- An archetype that matches a scheme gets an XP bonus.
- Each Archetype has its own build under the hood to dictate ratings growth and bonuses (this will be solved on day one).
- Some players will have multiple archetypes (unknown if this will be something a player can progress in or be customized into in draft classes, or otherwise).
- Skill points can build any archetype, this includes building a player into the archetype you need in your scheme if he doesn’t fit at first (this seems unnecessary).
- You can choose Team Captains, which probably means nothing in terms of actual gameplay – the players will have the patch on their jersey. (This is another place for the implementation of my ideas come into play… see below).
- Players that match schemes progress faster than players that don’t match (this is a bad sign for fans of progression based on production).
- Skill Points will give random bumps to player ratings. This is a good thing for online leagues and for those that enjoy some semblance of balance in offline CFM.
- You can no longer dictate player traits through XP use!!! This is huge in terms of stopping the abuse of creating a team of under-the-hood All Stars!
- Development no longer has ‘Slow’, but it still has Normal, Quick, Star, and Superstar. A small amount of players are supposed to have Superstar development and it can still change from season to season.
- Gameplanning and Training is still a thing… Why? Who knows. I have yet to see anyone actually use this as if it were necessary or enjoyable. (Hint to EA Tiburon – Make every game during a CFM season an event unto itself… give us a reason to gameplan or train our team to face someone like Antonio Brown, OBJ, JJ Watt, etc… then maybe we will focus on this!)
- Regression has been changed to continue the fix from Madden 18 that saw Speed Ratings for players take a nosedive after hitting 30 years old, etc.
CUSTOM DRAFT CLASSES!!!!!!!!
- Can you tell this is my favorite Madden news in over a decade?!
- You can choose which draft class you want in Week 3.
- You can use a pre-made, created, or imported draft class.
- Determine hidden gems, etc. (This kind of thing is a possible game breaker and it makes me wish they would overhaul scouting to make it a bit more realistic and/or difficult to find a gem in late rounds.
- The Draft presentation has been changed a bit, there will be a stage with players being introduced, which is a cool add-on.
The custom draft class feature is a huge move that truly opens the mode for more realism. Some might say that it opens up the game for people to scope out Superstar potential or create some sort of all star class laced with a bunch of top talent. Sure, if that is what you really want – go for it. For those of us that want to create a better spread of talent with more realistic depth – it seems that our wishes have been granted by the CFM genie.
Some questions persist and once they can be answered they will be featured here on NoobTubeTV.
- Has scouting been overhauled in any way? CFM needs to add a Scouting Department to every team just like coaches and coordinators. I would like to see more depth in this regard and make it more like MLB The Show – whether it be a letter range, number range or a simple +/- rating for players.
- Player Morale and Personality needs to play a larger role. There should be badges or sub-categories for players of all types. Someone like Tom Brady should have ‘Leader’ and/or ‘Competitor’ qualities, Dez Bryant and Odell Beckham Jr. should have ‘Diva’ traits or the like. It is an integral part of the game to have these types of players. While I believe a lot of this kind of labeling would be denied by the NFLPA in terms of labeling players as anything other than a position player – it would add much needed depth.
- Team Schemes still need work. The idea that a team is going to have the same desired setup for certain players at certain positions is questionable at best. For instance, the assigning of a Left Tackle with Pass Blocking to a Vertical Zone Run scheme leaving the rest of the line as Agile is oversimplifying a scheme at best. This also doesn’t seem to take into account whether or not a QB is left handed – the entire scheme would have to flip in this regard – have they done that? I think not.
- User Persona is something they could add to this game and almost make the suggestion for Morale and Personality a thought of the past. Give the user a chance to choose or create a persona within the game. Owner Mode should have labels such as Tyrant (Jerry Jones), Clueless (Jimmy Haslam), etc. The same goes for coaches if that is the route you want to take.
As more information is released expect to find it on NTTV!